Monday, November 13, 2006

Auslaender does not equal outlandish

So, I really haven't updated in a long time, but I definitely have been meaning to. Things are going pretty well at this point. I've been teaching some classes regularily, visiting some classes regularily, and then randomly going to a couple classes. I've started working with the 6th graders every week, which I am very excited about.

Over the weekend, I read the essays the 9th graders wrote about Napolean and how he influenced France. Overall the essays were really good. But a few of the girls must have used some translator. I believe they were trying to get the word "foreigner", which in German is "Auslaender" (directly translates to outlander). They ended up using the word "outlandish", which made no sense in the context and definitely confused me. It's really interesting to see some of the words that the kids come up with!

This week classes will be pretty normal. Today I finished a lesson with the 10th graders on The New Deal. Wednesday I will continue with the 9th graders on The American Revolution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm commenting! ha, haha. You should recreate that famous painting from the revolution of the drummer and the flute player. FACT OF THE DAY: The guy who painted that painting was from Aurora, OH.