Tuesday, May 01, 2007

der Maibaum



Last Monday (April 30) as I was walking home from tutoring I noticed a lot of people gathering around the Marktplatz in Gross-Bieberau. I kind of wondered what was going on, but kept on my way. A few minutes later I ran into the woman who lives upstairs who informed me that the Maibaum (Maytree)was being put up and invited me to come along. It was a very neat tradition to watch. Men dressed in Lederhosen carried the tree in and set it up in the square. Then various groups did traditional dances and finally the Bürgermeister (mayor)tapped a keg and everyone had a beer on the town. It was really fun. I enjoyed spending a little time with the Frau Holzhaeuser and getting to see one of the town's traditions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so fun! i'm glad things went well today! happy birthday tomorrow!
love, r