Thursday, September 21, 2006

Adventures in German Bureaucracy and Teaching


So yesterday I had the day off from going to school in order to take care of some things. First, I took the bus into Darmstadt to try and matriculate in the University there. I took the bus into Darmstadt and then walked to the University. After a long struggle to prove that I had health insurance, I discovered that I also need a copy of my degree and an official transcript. Unfortunately, I do not have either one of those items with me, so it looks like I will be waiting a while to matriculate!

After spending the morning in Darmstadt, I took the train to Dieburg. Emily met me in Dieburg, since it is about halfway between us. In Dieburg is the Landratsamt (the district office) where I had to go to get a residence permit. Although it took a while, and there was some confusion, I was able to get my residence permit.

Emily and I then spent the afternoon in Dieburg. Dieburg has a very nice Altstadt and some fun little shops. We got some gelato at the Eiscafe and just hung out. The picture above is of a fountain in Dieburg. Before leaving we grabbed some dinner, and a retired couple from Maine happened to sit down at the table next to us! It was very random, since Dieburg is relatively small and definitely not on the usual tourist routes. It was really fun to talk to them, but it didn't last long, because we had to head to the train station to catch our rides home.

Today I taught my first class. Last week and this week I went to a double period of 9th grade English. Today during the second period I took have of the class to work on a text. The class is about 35 students, so it is very helpful to be able to split them up. It went relatively well, but I think I'm really going to have to concentrate on speaking slowly and clearly with students. In addition I observed the 9th and 10th grade Spanish classes again.

Tomorrow Emily is going to come to Gross-Bieberau. I have to work in the morning, so she is going to come around noon. I think that tomorrow we are going to go shopping and hang out in Darmstadt. One of my roommates from orientation, Jessica is located in Darmstadt, so we may hang out with her. She also let me know that there is an event in Darmstadt tomorrow - Lange Nacht der Musen - and the museums are open until 3am, so we may check that out. Saturday I think we may go to Mannheim and then there is a Kneipennacht here in Gross-Bieberau that night.

No comments: