Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day


So, this picture is of the main street in Gross Bieberau, which, as you can see, is totally under construction. It is supposed to be during October - hopefully this will make downtown a little more active!

As you may have noticed, I figured out how to enter links into my blog, so there are some listed on the sidebar on the right now. Included are the websites for the school I am working at and the town I am living in.

This week I am doing mostly observing again. Yesterday I spent a period with the 10th grade bilingual History class as well as a period with 6th grade English. They are both very nice classes. After History, Monika and I talked a little bit about more specifically what I will be doing with her classes. It looks like I will be teaching a lesson for the 10th graders on the Roaring 20s in the United States soon (definitely will have to think back to what I learned in US History junior year!) Also, the 12th graders are working a lot with the United States in English class, so I'm going to work with the a lot on topics such as the structure of the US government and immigration in the United States.

I really enjoyed being with the 6th graders. We told them that I did not speak any German, so they had to interview me in English to find anything out. They were all very excited. One of the boys at the end of the class even came up and let me know that his father is from the United States. Today I went with the 6th graders again - one period of English and one of German. It's amazing how much the kids know in only their second year of English!

In addition today I spent some time in with 9th and 10th grade Spanish classes. The second foreign language (first is English, which starts in 5th) starts in 9th grade, at my school the students have the choice between Spanish and French. Although I was able to understand everything that was going on I had a lot of trouble communicating. It's really disappointing how much Spanish I lost by not using it for 5 years! I will be going to the Spanish classes again on Thursday, so maybe things will go a little better. Although it was difficult, I still participated in the class activities and the students asked me questions in Spanish about what I am doing in Germany for the year.

On Thursday I will be doing my first teaching. I will be taking half of a 9th grade Realschule English class to work on reading and understanding an English text. I am really excited to get started and see how things go working with the kids on my own!

No comments: