Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Come from a Land Down Under...



















So here are a few more pictures of my apartment. This is my living room. It has a couch, some shelves and drawers, a desk, and coffee table. Today I also got a TV, so that's a new activity for me. I had asked my landlord about it yesterday, and he came down and rang my doorbell this evening. I have to go online and register it still, but it'll be really nice to have.

I've been meaning to post, but unfortunately blogspot and I have been fighting a lot. It doesn't like to always follow through when I post things. I noticed that the picture thing didn't totally work on my previous post, so I'm going to try and fix that.

This week has been going fairly well. On Tuesday I went to Darmstadt and met up with my friend Jessica again. It was really nice to get together. We just walked around, did a little shopping, and grabbed some dinner. Hopefully we will continue to get together regularily. She is also going to try and take a class at the University in Darmstadt.

Yesterday, I observed a 9th grade and a 10th grade English class. They were both taught by Herr Koettl. The 9th graders are reading about an African family that lived in Great Britain for a while and then returned to Africa. The 10th graders are reading the book, Holes. I really liked both of the classes and hope to have the chance to work with them again.

This morning I worked with the same half of the 9th grade Realschule class that I worked with last week. It went pretty well. They are somewhat unruly though. They tend to talk with their neighbors while someone is talking and don't always pay attention.

Tomorrow I will be doing three lessons (normally I will have Fridays off, but this week I said I would come in tomorrow). First I will be working with the 13th grade English class. They are working on Australia, and their teacher Frau Lorenz (Christina), asked me to bring in a modern Australian song. I was kind of lost, so I talked to my friend Scott from ND who studied in Australia. He suggested, along with some others, Down Under by Men at Work. I found some interesting information about the song, and it has some Australian slang in it, so hopefully the students will find it interesting. It is from 1982, but is still popular.

This weekend I am heading to Munich for Oktoberfest. I am really excited. I am meeting up with a number of people including Erin from ND, Emily (but she can't come until Saturday because she is in Cornwall with her school), and Liz (another friend from Waldsee - she is a teaching assistant in Vienna). Some of my other friends I met at orientation are going to be there too, so we are hoping to meet up. We had some trouble finding a place to stay, so it looks like we will be camping, which should be interesting!

Go Irish! Beat Boilermakers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, kat!
just wanted to let you know that it was great talking to you today - and i can see all your photos (could yesterday, too) - so it may be that yours doesn't like them, but they're visible from here.
happy oktoberfest, and good luck at school tomorrow!
love, r

Anonymous said...

Holes is one of my all-time favorite books!! You should read it with them. I taught it to a group of 5th graders once--let me know if you get to teach with it ever!! Also, not paying attention to the teacher and talking to your neighbor is pretty typical German. I bet they'll listen to you, though, because you're way more fun, young, and interesting than their "regular" teachers. Good luck!! I love reading your updates, and am still so jealous!
Love you,
Juuuuliiieeetaaa!